Thursday 12 March 2015

13. Sean Connery and the Churl with the Sainsbury's Bag



I text Mum as I’m leaving work to let her know I’ll be swinging by and she responds with the address of the house. 

14 Summerhead Vale
Richmond

I’m not sure what to think of this. Normally, when Mum says or texts strange things, I try and view the world through the eyes of Mum and can eventually come up with an idea of what strange logic is behind her strange words. I have to admit, though, this one has me stumped. It would make some sort of sense if it were an address other than that of the house I spent 85% of my life living in. And I wouldn’t even have been shocked if they had randomly moved into some country villa in Bath and then forgotten to breathe a word of it to me until I was standing outside of our old house in Richmond, confused as to why a strange Spanish guy, with rolled up jeans and a cigar hanging from his mouth, was opening the door. But it’s not. It’s the same house. I text back a question mark because…well, because Mum makes me feel question mark.

See you soon love Mum Dad in house pick up tonic thx x

Okay, whatever. 

When I arrive at the house, I walk in (tonic in hand) and apprehensively glance around. Everything is as it was when I left, minus new pieces of art here and there. The scary African masks are still hanging on the walls, laughing at me, with their giant grins and beady little eye holes. I’ve never been on good terms with them. They’re just so impertinent and taunting and weird. And I know that whatever voodoo spirits are lurking in there don’t like me—because I know their secret. I know that behind all that cultural artsy façade, behind their tribal paint and dangly beaded dreadlocks, they are nothing more than psychopathic, animalistic versions of It—and no, I don’t mean the cute furry Cousin It from The Addam’s Family; I mean the Stephen King It. Yeah. That It. Except, instead of just one It, my parents’ house serves as the international building of Killer Clown University—all in the name of art. And I always knew those scary masks were just waiting for the day an innocent little child (like me) would break Mummy and Daddy’s rules and take them off the wall and wear them. Then they would suck the soul out of that child, using their voodoo magic. Or they would take over the kid’s mind and turn them into little clown-mask-wearing Chucky dolls, waving around knives and murdering their families. 

Whatever the case, when I was little, I was convinced they were evil. Tom, John, Mark, and Rick. I had named them so I could whisper personalized threats whenever I walked by, so they would know that just because they had my family fooled, they didn’t fool me. Nope. Those bastards would never fool me.

I’m still standing around glaring at the masks when I hear footsteps coming out from the kitchen, followed by, ‘Is that you, darling?’

Dad appears in the doorway. He’s holding an orange cocktail in his hand that has a slice of watermelon on the rim and a purple umbrella in it. A fucking umbrella. It’s probably a recipe from his 1,001 Greatest Cocktails book called “Kilner Me Softly” or something. He's so predictable.

Dad likes to dress as though he’s fresh from the set of Out of Africa. His white hair and beard are always neatly trimmed, and he has a pair of rebellious eyebrows that decided to remain dark brown forever, without any regard to what colour the rest of the head hair was wearing. Sometimes when he speaks, he sounds a bit like Sean Connery with a French accent, so unless you know him pretty well, he’s basically just grunting words with a fancy-sounding twang. And if the sun is out, you can be damn sure he’ll have on his Indiana Jones hat and some sort of multi-coloured necktie scarf thing, usually tucked into a cream jacket. This is what’s happening now. Plus an over-decorated glass of Malibu rum with a splash of orange juice. And a purple fucking umbrella.

Mum is close behind, wearing one of the obnoxiously coloured dresses from the little boutique she owns for no reason, called Sybil’s (named after herself, naturally). This one is bright purple, (probably to match Dad’s cocktail umbrella) and has a giant peacock feather sticking up from the left shoulder.

 ‘My God, what have you been eating, darling? You’re as thin as a rail,’ Mum says, shimmying over to me, a glass of champagne in one hand and her free hand flapping about. I’m about to tell her nothing, since I tended to spend most of my university meal plan money on things other than food (clothes, booze, a hair straightener), when she adds, ‘It’s wonderful! Now you can fit into some of the dresses from the shop.’

‘Well being broke is the best diet,’ I reply, handing Dad the Sainsbury’s bag with the tonic in it as we go into the kitchen.

‘Broke,’ Mum titters, rolling her eyes toward my dad and giving an airy chuckle, ‘You poor hard-done-by child. Whatever next?’

I am about to correct her, and say that I am broke, as an independent party from them, but my father cuts in with, ‘Not to sound pretentious darling…’

AND there it is. The “not to sound, darling” phrase my dad is so very fond of, always followed by the big “BUT” that inevitably makes him sound exactly the way he pretends he doesn’t want to, and often has the power to make the person he’s speaking to feel like they have a brain the size of an embryo. 

A hamster embryo.

Examples include: “Not to sound ungrateful darling, BUT…I don’t think reading an article in National Geographic really qualifies you to contribute to this particular discussion.” “Not to sound forward darling, BUT…one too many of the wrong sexual partners and a woman could be considered damaged goods.” “Not to sound repetitive darling, BUT…please, don’t drink from the bottle…that’s what glasses are for.”

Eye roll.

BUT…I don’t think you should go around describing yourself as “broke.” It’s such a churlish word, and I don't like to think of you as a churl.’ 

I smile and look down at the fake Louis Vuitton bag on my shoulder. This is the moment I’ve been waiting for. 

‘This bag is fake,’ I say abruptly, plopping it on the counter top for all to see.

Dad flashes it a condescending look but doesn’t seem that bothered. Mum, however, lets out a loud gasp as though I’ve just slapped a rotting animal corpse on her counter.

‘Get it off,’ she says sharply, ‘Get it off this instance.’

‘It’s just a bag, Mum,’ I reply, unable to contain my amusement. 

‘This is not a bag,’ she shouts, snatching it from me, ‘this is an imposter. And I will not have it in my house!’ Then she dumps the entire contents of my bag onto the counter which is something I had not anticipated.

‘Mum!’ I groan, trying to reach for the bag, but before I can get anywhere near it, she disappears into the other room and out the back door. I look to Dad for reinforcement but he just shrugs and says,

‘Well you brought this upon yourself. Now you’ll have to carry your contents home in a Sainsbury’s bag.’

‘Like a churl,’ I respond.

Dad nods and takes a sip of his overdressed Maui cocktail. ‘Like a churl.’

No comments:

Post a Comment